05 September 2015

Tui in spring blossom

Several days ago, Lisa alerted me to the fact that the flowering cherry trees at Massey University were alive with tui. This morning I finally spent some time there with the camera, getting frustrated by the rapid movements of the tui, their infuriating habit of feeding from the flowers on the far side of the cluster, and the bright sky that always seemed to intrude in the background. The wind felt colder than a spring wind had any right to be, too, and by the time I gave up I must have been close to hypothermic. I did manage a handful of acceptable photographs, though. Thanks, Lisa :-)



All content © 2015 Pete McGregor

8 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Amazing. Thank you for braving the wind chill.

gz said...

good detail on flower and tui...nicework.

pohanginapete said...

EC and gz, thank you :-)

Lisa said...

Oh heavens. This is PERFECT. Thank you for braving the cold for this.

Zhoen said...

In the best possible way, this photo is pretty in a way you usually don't do. Maybe it's just the amount of a rather pleasing pink.

Lisa said...

Hi Zhoen, yes, I think it's a measure of Pete's versatility that he can produce this delicious image - and that stark black-and-white image of loss from a few weeks back. I find these different images draw me in quite different ways.

pohanginapete said...

Zhoen, I know what you mean, and I think it does have something to do with the colour. New Zealand might be known for spectacular scenery (among other things) but it's not known for startling colours.

Lisa, thank you. I like the idea of being versatile, even if I sometimes think it reflects an innate restlessness, a low level inability to remain satisfied. ;-)

Lisa said...

If you didn't feel an innate restlessness and an inability to remain satisfied, you wouldn't be an artist (or writer or scientist) :-)