08 August 2014

Stok La, Rumbak Valley, Ladakh

The Stok La ('La' = 'Pass') sits about 4800 metres a.s.l. -- opinions vary regarding the true height, but I certainly felt the effects of the altitude on my legs. Still, I made it satisfactorily, and the descent to Changma camp, where just three of us stayed the night, was over in short order. This photograph gives an impression of the landscape, although the area around Changma camp is much more rugged; in fact, it's some of the most savage landscape I've ever seen.

I spent four days in this area and saw plenty of bharal (blue sheep) and birds of various species, the highlight for me being the sighting of five spectacular Himalayan snowcock (no photographs, unfortunately). I'm currently working on a Pohanginapete post, which I hope to have up in a day or two.


All content © 2014 Pete McGregor

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

A landscape stripped back to its bones. Stark, bare, beautiful.

pohanginapete said...

All those adjectives fit exactly, EC. Thank you :^)