18 June 2014

Waterfall hut, Ruahine Range

Almost as soon as we'd arrived, Jono set about making a fire. Waterfall has been kept as an historic hut, so the traditional open fireplace hasn't been replaced with a wood-burning stove, as has been done for many of the Ruahine huts. Consequently, until the fire's burning strongly, you have to keep one or both windows, and possibly the door, open at least a little or the hut fills with smoke. Thanks to Jono's good efforts, though, we stayed comfortably warm without asphyxiating.

This was only my second visit to Waterfall but, as on the first occasion, I felt a slight wrench when I closed the door for the last time the following morning. I guess that says a lot about Waterfall hut.


[1 June 2014, Olympus OM-D EM-1, 1240mm f/2.8 at 12mm, ISO 200, 1/5 at f/8]

All content © 2014 Pete McGregor

7 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Using an open fire without suffocation is a dying art. Congratulations Jono.
And how could you not leave a piece of yourself in that stunning spot?

pohanginapete said...

EC, I never bother with fires if I'm on my own, but I have to say this made the hut very cosy.

Zhoen said...

Something so primal about a fire when it's chilly and damp.

Ruahine said...

Kia ora Pete,
"This was only my second visit to Waterfall but, as on the first occasion, I felt a slight wrench when I closed the door for the last time the following morning. I guess that says a lot about Waterfall hut.".....well stated e hoa.

pohanginapete said...

Zhoen, yes. They're great simply for gazing at, too. Meditative; hypnotic even.

Kia ora Robb — thanks :)

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

I can just feel the quiet - and seeing as we're up to 90 degrees F here these days, I could do with a bit of that chill and quiet! Gorgeous color. Thanks, Pete.

pohanginapete said...

You're welcome, Barbara, and thank you :)