18 August 2012

Austral negrito at Puerto Natales


This little austral negrito (Lessonia rufa) hopped around the shore at Puerto Natales on an overcast day. He never seemed to pause long enough for me to press the shutter button, and kept his distance as well. Consequently, this heavily cropped photograph is the best I'm ever likely to manage of these lovely little birds. They belong to a group having what seems like an utterly inappropriate name: the Tyrant Flycatchers. On the other hand, I guess if you're a fly, ...


[5 December 2011, Panasonic Lumix GH1, 100–300 mm at 300 mm, ISO 200, 1/800 at f5.6]

All content © 2012 Pete McGregor

3 comments:

Relatively Retiring said...

I wish I had that degree of head movement....but then, I'm not continually catching flies.

Zhoen said...

No sneaking up on this little guy. Not even for you.

pohanginapete said...

RR, I guess having that degree of head movement would have substantial advantages, even without the need to catch flies. It'd definitely help when backing the car.

Zhoen, too true.