08 October 2011

Andean ice above Laguna 69


Yesterday some friends and I climbed up to Laguna 69 (don't ask about the name; I have no idea) at about 4700 m in Peru's Cordillera Blanca. To stand on the shore and see mountains like this rising above the glacier, which in turn sat above a great rock cliff falling sheer into the cerulean waters, made my heart sing.

This is my kind of country.



[6 October 2011, Panasonic Lumix GH1, 100–300 mm at 171 mm, ISO 100, 1/1000 at f11] 

All content © 2011 Pete McGregor

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! From the coastal desert to this in such a short time.... truly amazing. Are you doing ok with the altitude (4700m!)? Bet you're glad you packed some warm clothes:^0

Zhoen said...

wow.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely stunning.

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

'Majestic,' 'glorious,' and maaaaany such words that have not yet been coined!

pohanginapete said...

Thanks everyone :^) Yesterday I did a little ice climbing; the backdrop was occasional glimpses through cloud of a mountain like this. (Maureen, the altitude seems to be no problem; I breathe a little harder, but it doesn't seem to slow me down.)

Lydia said...

Spectacular shot. All those swirls and that crest on the very top...amazing. Beautiful words too.

pohanginapete said...

Lydia, thank you. The Cordillera Blanca/Huaraz will remain one of the very special places I visited, too briefly, on this journey.