26 August 2011

Quito and Cotopaxi


We were the first people (other than staff) to the top of the Teleférico last Saturday, and the early start gave us spectacular views of the Avenue of Volcanoes, with Quito (shown here) sprawling lengthwise along the valley. Later, cloud and haze obscured the volcanoes. This is Cotopaxi, the best known and most visited of Ecuador's volcanoes, although at 5897 m, it's only the second highest peak in the country (the highest, Chimborazo (6310 m), is higher than any point on Earth, including Chomolungma/Sagarmatha/Everest, if measured from Earth's centre).


[20 August 2011 (Ecuador), Panasonic Lumix GH1, 14–45 mm at 45 mm, ISO 200, 1/500 at f11]

All content © 2011 Pete McGregor

9 comments:

Zhoen said...

Something wonderful about our planet's sticky-up-bits.

Tim Koppenhaver said...

It's always worth the effort to be the first to the top. Great Shot. Sounds like you're having a great trip.
TK

pohanginapete said...

Nicely put, Zhoen ;^)

Tim, thanks. In some ways the trip's just beginning — today's the first day after the Spanish lessons finished. Off to Cotopaxi tomorrow, and to the Amazon on Sunday night, so I have a few things to sort out today in preparation.

Anonymous said...

This is such a fantastic view, Pete. I love the perspective.

pohanginapete said...

Robin, thank you. I was on Cotopaxi yesterday (not the summit!) — a great day. Photos will follow :^)

Avus said...

"Chimborazo Cotapaxi
Had stolen me away"

A poem by Turner that has been with me since schooldays, Pete (if you don't know it, read it at: http://www.bartleby.com/103/158.html)
Thank you for the wonderful image to flesh out that memory.

pohanginapete said...

Avus, thanks for the link to the poem. I didn't know it, and it adds to my memories, particularly of Cotopaxi.

Lydia said...

“Give me silence, water, hope
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes”
― Pablo Neruda

Great view. I now have a better idea of the city where our sponsored child's father works. Many thanks.

pohanginapete said...

Lydia, I'm sorry I couldn't find the town. I'm now two countries further south (Bolivia, La Paz), so I'm afraid I won't have another chance.