10 May 2009

Common tailorbird, Kileshwar, Gujarat

Common tailorbirdThe common tailorbird (Orthotomus sutorius) is a small, delightful little bird that seems never to stay still long enough to photograph. I did manage a few photos of this wee individual at Kileshwar in February 2007. They build remarkable nests of leaves stitched together with fibre or spider silk to form an outer shell within which they construct a more conventional lining of woven grasses.

Note: I currently don't have Internet access and won't have it again until next weekend, so won't be able to respond to comments until then. I've scheduled posts for most days, though, so there'll be something up for you to look at. Enjoy!
All content © 2009 Pete McGregor

4 comments:

Zhoen said...

I don't think any bird is "common". This perky little guy surely isn't ordinary.

Patricia said...

This is an iconic little bird! Lovely. I just nominated you for the 2009 Photoblog Award. Your followers will need to vote for you as well.

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

So glad this one stood still for you. I love that shining eye.

pohanginapete said...

Zhoen, I agree. The list of birds with common names that include "common" must be huge, yet they're all astonishing when one thinks about what they are.

Patricia, thanks! I seem to have had a few more visitors since you nominated the blog, so it's nice to know more people are getting to see a bit of the world through my eyes. :^)

Thanks Barbara :^)